Friday, October 10, 2008

Searching for my dream job

Yup, I actually sent this e-mail just now. Who knows, maybe I'll be packing up for Denmark pretty soon! :-)

Hi LEGO team,

My name is Paulo Tirol, 30 years old and living in the Philippines.

I grew up loving Lego. From 1982 to 1992, I acquired over 100 sets. I would spend all my money on Lego; when I got good grades (which was pretty much all the time :-) ) my Mom would buy me Lego; when my Dad would go abroad, he would bring me back Lego; and from time to time an uncle living in Frankfurt would send Lego too.

At home, my bedroom and our living room was filled with castles, pirate lairs, cities, and train sets. All my free time was devoted to playing with Lego -- building, creating dioramas, acting out stories out with it. And around fifth grade, I was thrilled when Lego actually responded to a letter I wrote, and sent a whole bunch of materials on facts and figures, Lego's corporate history, and the Legoland parks.

Today, I work as an Assistant Brand Manager at Procter & Gamble Philippines. I handled diaper brand Pampers for 2 years, then was reassigned to handle skin care brand Olay last June.

Being a busy grown-up and living away from my parents' house where all my Lego was, it had been years since I last touched any my Lego -- until two weeks ago, when I moved into a new flat and thought some Lego would make a nice touch, and I re-assembled my pirate ship (model 6285 :-) ).

It was a thrilling experience that brought back wonderful childhood memories -- and an experience which made me decide to e-mail you.

There have been times when my friends and I in the marketing field talk about our "dream brands" to handle. My answer is always "Lego", a brand which I grew up with, continue to love, and will always believe in. And while I do love my current job at Procter & Gamble, I figure it's high time I tried to see if my dream job is actually something within reach. :-)

With that, I get to the point of my e-mail: are there actually marketing jobs available for someone like me, either in the region (Singapore?) or even outside (Denmark?)? I know that I should have inquired about this through your "jobs" site, but with a 300-character requirement, I don't think any inquiry I posted there could ever have done justice to my passion for Lego. So, I hope that you could forward this message to your HR instead, and I do hope I get a response.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for the unforgettable childhood you gave me, and continue to give to children all around the world. God willing, I would love to be a part of it someday.

Sincerely yours,

paulo

No comments: