Sunday, November 30, 2008

Getting back with my old flame

My rediscovered romance with Lego just keeps getting better.

Some history. When I was a kid, I think around Grade 4, I wrote and snail-mailed a letter to Lego. I told them how much I loved their toys, I even made suggestions on new lines (at the time, they only had town, castle, and space -- none of the pirates and agents and racers and underwater stuff).

The experience of writing the makers of my favorite toys was happy enough -- but what a thrill when they actually responded! A package came in the mail weeks later, containing a load of Lego and Legoland magazines and brochures, including a factbook detailing the history of Lego... and a personalized letter thanking me for my ideas! It was a highlight of my childhood life, and that yellow envelope with all the material from Lego was in my schoolbag for months after.

A few weeks back, I wrote my next letter to Lego. This time, it was as an adult, toying with the idea of a job with their company, and via e-mail. Again, like before, I was happy enough to just write them. And, like before, I was thrilled to get a response from them, via e-mail.

I thought that was that. Until many days after, I received a notice from the Mandaluyong Central Post Office that I had a package to pick up. I had no idea what it was, and it was actually quite irritating because I could only go there from 8 AM to 12 NN, Mondays to Thursdays (go figure with the government!), and besides I had no idea where the Mandaluyong Post Office was. (Who goes to post offices nowadays anyway!?)

For several days I ignored the notice. But then I received another notice, this time labeled "Final Notice", and thought to myself, what the hell. So last Thursday, with a relatively light office load (note: relatively), James and I went to the Mandaluyong City Hall. Luckily the Central Post Office was easy to find. And luckily I did go, because when they handed me the pacakge, the first thing I saw was the little red square in the middle of the envelope:

I wanted to tear it open then and there! But I thought better of it and waited till I was back in the car.

I was a 10-year-old kid again, practically jumping up and down in my seat, heart pounding, and smiling ear to ear. Inside the envelope was a Lego Club magazine, a couple of Lego keychains (one with a classic 2 x 4 Lego brick, and one with a Catwoman Lego mini-figure... how did they guess I was a Catwoman kind of guy!? hahahaha), and a personalized letter in response to what I'd written. I hugged that envelope so close to my chest that I crumpled it. Hahaha.

It may have been unlike 20 years ago, when that package was in my bag for months -- but last Thursday, I had that package with me the whole day, and showed it to every officemate I could. "Cool", "Exciting", "Wow", and "Great example of consumer relations" were some of the reactions -- and I agree with them on all points. This "extra mile" of snail-mailing a package in the e-mail age was a great move on Lego's part -- from both the points of view of a thrilled 30-year-old kid and a brand manager (I just bought another Lego set today, and I can't wait till my next set, so this clearly drove purchase, hahaha).

This brand has won me over, all over again.

No comments: